2° half of 1800 and early 1900 – people from Zoldo, Cadore and Friuli as ambassadors of gelato in the world
2° half of 1800 and early 1900 - people from Zoldo, Cadore and Friuli as ambassadors of gelato in the world
The European capitals welcome the Italian gelato makers
Between the second half of the Nineteenth century and the first decades of the Twentieth century, Europe is peacefully invaded by gelato makers, especially from Zoldo and Cadore. Moral rigor and solidarity are the values that hold together the small communities abroad. Vienna is the center of the propagation of the first pioneers traveling throughout Europe, partly because of the restrictive laws in force in the capital of the kingdom. In the big European cities, new gelato shops are opened and the streets of Prague, Budapest, Warsaw, Leipzig, Brno, Krakow and Amsterdam are crowded with merry and colored gelato carts. In some European cities even real dynasties of gelato makers are born.
New homelands for gelato makers
Hard workers, accustomed to hard life, the people from Zoldo, Cadore and Friuli adapted quickly to their new reality. In general, they were able to conquer the trust and esteem of their host nations. New migratory waves followed the end of World War I; now the “promised land” was beyond the ocean: the South America. Brazil and Argentina, above all, were a destinations for many families who settled there, giving birth to a great Association of gelato makers, the Afadhya, Asociación de Fabricantes Artesanales Helados y Afines.
The cone: a small, smart container
The cone, which over the years has become the symbol of artisanal gelato of Italian tradition in the world, is historically attributed to multiple people. The patent application of a mold for manufacturing cones and waffles was filled by Vittorio Marchionni, from Cadore, on December 13, 1903, at the appropriate office in Washington DC. Before that, the “gelato on the road” was served in small glasses, bags of paper, rolled waffles and, later, between two biscuits, like a sandwich: it was called the “Parisian”. The molded cones are manufactured in Italy around 1926 and their use extends throughout Europe.